Did you know that due to recent legalisation changes that for particular jobs undertaken which concern plumbing or heating, contractors must be part of a competent persons scheme to certify their own work?
There are many tragic news stories that regularly occur in reference to people with insufficient plumbing qualifications working on a gas and plumbing systems, and resulting in injury or death to the engineer or the homeowner. “A gas fitter was found guilty today of causing the death of two elderly friends who died of carbon monoxide poisoning after he failed to fix the central heating boiler at one of their homes.”
Read More When you require the work of a plumber, there are a number of steps that you can undertake to make sure you have the right plumber for the job;
1. Have you tried talking to your friends or neighbours? They may be able to recommend a good plumber or have heard something about the firm your interested in.
2. Ask for their Gas Safe Registration number and check its validity on their website at http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk. Genuine plumbers will an up to date registration process, formerly CORGI, make sure they have transferred in line with new regulations.
3. Ask if the plumbing company/plumber can offer 2 references – legitimate business should not have a problem providing the testimony of 2 previously satisfied customers.
4. Phone numbers can be a give away, a reputable company will offer more ways to contact them than just a mobile no. Expect a landline; it is unlikely that a cowboy plumber will offer you one with a local area code.
5. Do they have company letter headed documentation? Received a quote on a notepad? Not a very good sign for the professionalism of the company.
6. Listen to your gut feelings, do they come across as professional and presentable, this is likely to be representative of their overall quality of work.
To make sure your getting the best plumber possible, and if your unsure about any of these points, there are professional plumbing companies that will be able to offer you piece of mind, for example British Gas Boiler services can be contacted on 0800 327 7119.