What are expected of landlords when they let a property and how our courses can save them money? | Options Skills
Home » Trade News » What are expected of landlords when they let a property and how our courses can save them money?

What are expected of landlords when they let a property and how our courses can save them money?

Landlords, or letting agents acting on the landlord’s behalf, have a legal obligation to ensure that rental accommodation is completely safe for tenants. This is set out through several laws which say landlords must ensure appliances are in full working order and prevent such hazards as carbon monoxide and electrocution.

If certain standards are not met then the landlord’s insurance policy may be made invalid.

What are the key things a landlord needs to check?

Gas Safety

Annual gas inspections and safety certificates are required for all properties for any property which has gas supplied to it or any gas fittings. The safety certificates can only be issued by heating engineers that are registered with the Gas Safe Register.

The Gas Safe Register is the only legally recognised gas safety register in the UK from the 1st April 2009. Certificates are valid for a year from the date of issue and must be in place whenever a new tenancy begins. The tenant must also have a copy of the certificate in order to ensure safety guidelines.

Electrical Safety

Electrical safety certificates and inspections are required to prove that necessary steps have been taken to ensure the safety of tenants. There are currently no legal requirements for this in the UK but many insurers will require it to even get a policy.

All electrical inspections and certification should be done by a qualified electrician who is registered with the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installers and Contractors (NICEIC). The two most recognised forms of inspection and testing certificates can be found below:

  • The Periodic Inspection Report – this report identifies any problems there may be with electrical installations in a property including current loss, etc. Landlords are advised to have a full electrical system inspection carried out every five to ten years.
  • Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) – Portable mains powered electrical appliances which are supplied with the property, need to be tested yearly to discover if there are faults which can be a hazard to tenants. New appliances should already be safe, but keep all purchase receipts so you can prove when they were purchased and guaranteed

For landlords who own a large portfolio of properties these can become expensive necessities as each property will need to be individually tested. At RF Training we have trained landlords to be able to carry out these tasks themselves causing a considerable saving for those interested.

If you are a landlord and are interested in the different courses we offer to save you money then take fill in a form on the right or call us free on 0800 331 7500.

All data correct at time of publication.