City & Guilds, LCL, EAL - What's The Difference? | Options Skills
Home » Student Resources » City & Guilds, LCL, EAL – What’s The Difference?

City & Guilds, LCL, EAL – What’s The Difference?

City & Guilds, EAL, LCL logos

When looking into training courses, it’s essential to find the perfect one for you. So researching the different options available to you is vital.

From City & Guilds to EAL, apprenticeship or training course, with so much information out there, it can be challenging to understand it all.


  • What qualifications do you need?
  • Which training provider should you choose?
  • How much should the training cost?

Trying to find the answers to all these questions can be mind-boggling, leaving you more confused than when you started.

If you’re unsure what qualifications you need to begin your desired career, look at our ACS Domestic Gas and NVQ Level 3 Electrical course pages for more information.

If you’re wondering which training provider to go with, we will, of course, recommend ourselves.

However, if you’re here to find out what City & Guilds, LCL Awards, and EAL are and how they differ, how they’re similar, and which one you should go with, keep reading.


These three companies are just some of the certification bodies there are in the UK, and there is often a lot of confusion over whether you need to have a qualification from a particular body or not. The simple answer is no.

The most established or well-known isn’t always the right choice. The most important thing is finding the right training course for you, and different training providers will deliver the course under different certification bodies.

City & Guilds offer Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installation Work in Dwellings (2397).

EAL has Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings.

LCL offers a Domestic Electric Installer certificate.

These different training courses have a different setup and course breakdown, but they all result in qualifications required to undertake electrical work in domestic properties.

City & Guilds

City & Guilds are a vocational assessment and accreditation provider with qualifications suitable for colleges, training providers and employers. Covering 28 different industries, City & Guilds have thousands of qualifications and are recognised worldwide.

City & Guilds is well established, with the City and Guilds of London Institute founded in 1878. C&G was established to ensure a good standard of technical education.


EAL is a “specialist skills partner and awarding organisation for the industry”. Working with recognised training centres, EAL ensures a high standard of training and qualifications.

EAL work closely with their centres and provide a dedicated EAL External Quality Assurer for support. The Engineering Industry Training Board was founded in 1964, and EAL was introduced in 1992.


LCL, formally known as Logic Certification, has a network of over 200 approved centres throughout the United Kingdom. They issue certificates in the areas of gas, plumbing and electrics.

In 2004, LCL initially only delivered certification of competence for the ACS (Accredited Certification Scheme).

The ACS is the qualification gas fitters must obtain before registering with the Gas Safe Register. Since then, LCL has grown, responding to industry and centre requirements. As a result, they now offer awards in various areas of building services engineering (BSE).

Which one is better?

City & Guilds, EAL and LCL are all certification bodies, ensuring students complete accredited training courses and gain legitimate qualifications. Though the course titles and setup may differ depending on which certification body your training centre follow, the result should be the same.

Regardless of which accreditation body your training provider is with, you will need to undertake a course that enables you to gain your desired qualifications.

For example, you’ll need ACS qualification to apply for Gas Safe registration to become a legal and qualified gas engineer. You can do so by completing our ACS Domestic Gas Training Course.

To seek employment as an installation electrician, you will need an NVQ Level 3 in electrical training. In addition, the training course should lead you to register onto a competent persons scheme and apply for your ECS Gold Card.

All data correct at time of publication.