Contact Us


When deciding to train to become a gas engineer, it's important to do your research. However, with multiple qualifications, awards and some confusing terminology, it can be a bit daunting. Here at Options Skills, we want to make it simple for you to understand, that's why we have put together this easy-to-follow guide. If you're looking to enter the industry, these are all the gas engineer qualifications you need to know.

gas engineer qualifications
gas engineer qualifications
gas engineer qualifications
gas engineer qualifications
You are most likely aware that any person that works on a gas supply or gas installation in the United Kingdom must be Registered with the Gas Safe Register (formerly CORGI). Many people, however, are unsure how to join the Gas Safe Register and of the qualifications and training required to do so.

ACS Gas Engineer Qualfications

Before an individual operative can apply to join the Gas Safe Register, they must be able to demonstrate competence. Competence is usually demonstrated through qualifications. These qualifications are known as ACS (Accredited Certification Scheme) Gas Qualifications. In order for an individual to gain these qualifications, he or she must follow an approved managed learning plan that will include training and instruction in a safe and supervised environment, work experience with a Registered Gas Engineer and final assessment in an accredited gas training centre. This training is known as gas foundation training and is aimed at people that wish get qualified and join the Gas Safe Register.

Types Of Qualfications

ACS Gas Engineer Qualifications are varied and split by gas types, i.e. Natural Gas and LPG. These are then split by categories Domestic, Commercial or Catering and by the appliance, meaning that an operative must be suitably qualified by gas type, category and appliance before he or she is allowed to work on an appliance. The reverse of a Gas Engineers Gas Safe Card will show exactly what appliances an operative is qualified to work on.

The traditional route for gas engineers is to obtain Domestic ACS Gas Qualifications know as the 'domestic suite'. After this operatives may choose to gain commercial, catering or LPG qualifications with change-over qualifications. For many people, this decision is based on the type of work that they do and by where they live in the country, for instance, if you live in a rural area you may want LPG Gas qualifications.

ACS Reassessment

Gas Engineer Qualifications are not evergreen. They must be renewed every 5-years at an approved ACS Training & Assessment Centre. This ensures that every operative is aware of current legislation and best practice. A gas operative will not be able to re-new Gas Safe Registration if they do not possess current ACS Qualifications.

Up to 31st December 2020 Regulated qualifications and UKAS Accredited certificates of competence issued in the UK were widely recognised by other EU member states. However since the UK’s withdrawal from the EU, individual member states that previously recognised a UK qualification may now no longer do so. Learners undertaking qualifications on the basis that it is recognised by an EU member state should in the first instance make enquiries with the relevant bodies in that Country to confirm its recognition status.

Gas Qualifications - Glossary Of Terms

CCN1 - Core Gas Safety (Includes CPA1 - Flue Gas Analysers
CENWAT - Central Heating Boilers
CKR1 - Gas Cookers
HTR1 - Gas Fires
CODNCO1 - Change over core gas safety from Domestic to Commercial
CDGA1 - Commercial direct fired heating appliances
CIGA1 - Commercial indirect fired heating appliances
CORT1 - Commercial overhead radiant heaters
ICPN1 - Installation first fix commercial pipework
ICAE1 - Installation of commercial appliances
TPCP1A - Testing and direct purging of low-pressure commercial pipework not exceeding 1m3
TPCP1 - Testing and direct purging of commercial pipework exceeding 1m3 in volume up to 7 bar
CCP1 - Commissioning indirect gas-fired plant and equipment
CBHP1 - Gas boosters and compressors
CGFE1 - Gas fuelled engines
CLE1 - Commercial laundry equipment
CODC1 - Change over core domestic to Core Commercial Catering
CCCN1 - Core Commercial Gas Safety
COMCAT1 - Boiling Burners; COMCAT2 - Water Boilers
COMCAT3 - Deep Fat & Pressure Fryers
COMCAT4 - Fish & Chip Ranges
COMCAT5 - Forced Draught Burner Appliances
COCATA1 - Change over Domestic to Commercial Appliances
CONGLP1 - Fuel changeover Natural Gas to LPG
COCNCL1 - Change over Core Commercial Catering Natural Gas to LPG
CMCLP1 - Core Commercial Mobile Catering; CMCALP1 - Open Top Boiling Rings
CMCALP2 - Fryers
CMCALP3 - Water Pressure or Expansion Boilers
CMCALP4 - Instantaneous Flued Water Heaters